Friday, August 14, 2009

NASCAR at Richmond International Raceway.



Here is a gallery of photographs from the NASCAR Sprint Cup in Richmond, VA 2008. Jimmie Johnson was the winner. Why do NASCAR drivers all have names like that? Jimmie Johnson...doesn't sound like much of a way to broaden the demographic of people who watch the race. But as these pictures show, it's business as usual there. That isn't to say it isn't fun. These people totally know how to party. In fact they arrive at the track, bright and early, around sunrise in order to secure a parking spot, crack open some beers, and get the festivities rolling.

This following picture pretty much sums up the political feelings of the people at the races. I bet the guy that took his gun to protest reform at the President Obama's Health Care Town Hall Meeting in New Hampshire on Aug 12, 2009, is a fan of NASCAR.


All politicking aside, I did enjoy myself at the event and taking pictures of the party and event was much more open to photographers than many other sporting events I have covered. The important thing to remember is that everyone has feelings and desires regardless of what stereotypes we choose to associate with them.


In other news I know these photographs are a year old. I'm making a push to get caught up with my work. Leaving the newspaper industry last year was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I loved doing it everyday but the financial realities are simple. It was unsustainable. Therefore I was put into a picture taking funk for about a year. Clearly I've been shooting again and now I'm ready to begin posting that work. FYI I am also enjoying my new career track in secondary school teaching.

Alright, well that about wraps this up. I do have a show coming out soon. I will be posting about it in the near future.

No comments: